Decided that I needed a change in my eating habits. I have been living off takeaways of Singapore Fried Noodles (also known as Hong Kong Noodles in Singapore except this has curry powder) for the past few months for dinner every night. Went shopping for food in Marks and Spencer and Sainsbury.
Went healthy and chose Sainsbury’s brown rice instead of the normal white rice, and a box of strawberries from Marks and Spencer. I don’t usually eat strawberries. You could never tell if they were going to be sweet or sour. There is just too much uncertainty and I just don’t like food that I cannot predict how they taste. Anyway the strawberry shelf there today was quite cool. Each box of strawberries were labelled according to where they came from, the county, variety and even the farmer’s name. Cool right? My box came from Scotland, in the county of Perthshire, elsanta variety and the farmer’s name is Euan McIntyre. There were strawberries from other parts such as Kent and all that but I chose Perthshire because its where one of my new classmates came from.
I think its where the university of St Andrews is and also where golf was supposed to have originated, at the Old St Andrew’s golf course. My course organiser also mentioned that his daughter was in Perthshire picking strawberries at this time, so I assume that the strawberries from there should be quite famous. Dint try the Kent and the others because I never heard of any thing about strawberries from there. All I used to know about strawberries back home is that they came from Cameron Highlands somewhere in Malaysia that I supposedly been there when I was smaller and they had a black out on the night that I was there… I guess blackouts must happen there often as I still remember that they give you a candle and a box of matches in the hotel room drawer. Okay, this paragraph is going super out of point…..
Back to food. Had a battered cod from Marks and Spencer first. It was planned to be eaten with the rice but there was a little minor cock up. The rice usually cooks in 15 mins, so I started cooking the fish the moment I popped the rice into the microwave. At the end of the 15 mins, the fish was ready on my plate and I took the rice out from the microwave to realise that it was not cooked yet. Was a little puzzled as it was still quite hot and there was still water left in the rice cooker. This is not supposed to happen. The rice usually cooks in 12 o 14 mins and there should be no water left in the container.
Took out the rice packet again to check. Argh. It says easy cook rice, but I failed to notice that brown rice takes about twice as long as white rice to cook! It takes 28 to 32 mins to cook brown rice!!!! Argh!!!!! Had to put it back into the microwave for another 10 odd mins. Decided to eat the fish first before it got cold.
Fish was good but now I am feeling a little guilty for eating it. Its cod. Almost every month, I would read about the dwindling cod levels in the sea and that they would go extinct soon if we dint stop fishing it. Apparently the stocks has collapsed beyond the sustainable level. As a responsible individual in this society ( I hear some ppl puking in the background…… Okay okay, I am not that great) I should do my part to prevent the support of the cod fishing industry, but what could I do? It’s the cheapest fish that they have on sale. I am just a struggling student. I’ll just buy the cheapest thing that is half decent and try to get the best value for money.
Finished fish and then decided to start on the strawberries before the rice was done. Some were rather sweet and most of them were just about tasteless or mildly on the slightly sweet side. Had about 2 to 3 that were actually sour. This seems to be better than the average stuff that I get in the old school canteen’s fruit salad, where about 50% of the strawberries would be really so sour that you would cringe your face on biting into one. Finally the rice was done. Had that with some luncheon meat, aka spam in UK and it was not exactly great or that bad, but it did feel a little like eating birdseeds.
No work done today. One SMS spoiled my day by mega pissing me off. Think things are getting a little unreasonable. Dint manage to go to the gym or go to church at all. Argh..
Sorry God! I know that I have promised to go to church for quite a number of weekends now. Please forgive me!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home