While the rest of the world is worrying about terrorism, the brits are going on strike again......
Something MUST be done to stop these mad unions. Unions are ment to help represent the workers, not to abuse their power and make life miserable for everyone!
To: All students at XXX.
I am writing to give you information about an industrial dispute that is
occurring at XXX.
This dispute involves members of the Association of University Teachers
(the AUT) and is a national dispute, not directly about pay, but about a
new framework for pay agreements. I hope very much that it will be
resolved nationally, and soon.
If it is not, I fear that it may have an impact on all of us. This is
because the AUT is urging its XXX members, from amongst our academic and
related staff, to boycott work related to student assessment.
We cannot yet assess the likely impact of this action. The immediate
effect is likely to be on assessing course-work and setting examination
papers. The Registrar is currently finding out from heads of academic
departments their view of the likely extent of disruption.
The deadline for receipt of examination papers by the Registry is 15
March and following that date we will have a clearer picture of the
impact that the boycott may have on those expecting to sit exams or to
be assessed in other ways in the third term.
As you can imagine, I am dismayed by this course of action. We have at
XXX have some of the most able and dedicated academics in the country. I know
just how frustrated many of them are with pay levels that, as a result
of years of Government under-funding, have fallen well behind those in
comparable professions. But I am deeply unhappy that the AUT has decided
upon this action in respect of students as the best way for it to
achieve its ends.
Moreover, it is, unfortunately, a national dispute. The AUT has not been
able to resolve its differences through negotiation as the four other
national trade unions representing university staff have done. I am
still optimistic that the Employers' Association which represents
universities nationally will be able to achieve a timely resolution of
the dispute through constructive dialogue.
I apologise on behalf of XXX for this potential disruption to your
studies but assure you that my management team and I will do everything
in our power to minimise its effect on you.
I wish I could offer you firm and clear assurances, but at this stage I
simply cannot.
Please bear with us, and I will be in touch with you again once the
position is clearer.
Professor XXX XXX
Provost


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home